Thursday 12 September
Annual General Meeting 2019
Annual General Meeting - an overview of the past year, the election of the committee and a discussion about how the group should develop in the future.
This will be followed with a selection of members' writing. To include the winning entry to the WSW Members short Story competition and an extended Open Mic session.
Review of the meeting
Ian chaired the AGM, during which members agreed the minutes of the last AGM were accurate, accepted the accounts and report from the treasurer, and reports from the membership, competitions and publicity secretaries. There was discussion about future programme items and other activities. Retiring committee members were thanked for their service, and new individuals elected to replace them. And all this before the tea break, brilliant.
An open mike session plus reading of the short story competition winner followed the break. I usually include a full description of the refreshments, but I was concentrating too much on what was to follow and forgot to note what was served, or to get recipe details from Alison. For which I’m sorry.
A full account of the meeting can be found by WSW members who follow this link. (password protected.)
Notices: Upcoming events and Reminders:
- Worthing theatre trail has events 21/22 and 28/29 September. Information about them on the Worthing Town Council’s website: Link here.
- Shoreham Wordfest continues until 13 October, event website here.
- Pam Weaver (https://pamweaver.uk ) has published more than twenty five novels, as well as 150 short stories and more than two hundred articles. She is holding a day’s Writers’ Course on 28 September, at Saint Margaret’s Hall, Arundel road, Worthing, cost £25 or £20 if booked in advance. Proceeds to go to ‘Give Gracie a Voice’, to pay for treatment for someone with CFC syndrome. Details https://pamweaver.uk/news/writers-day/ .
- Sussex author Jacqui Buttriss is giving a free talk: Tales of an accidental ghostwriter) at the Christadelphian Hall, Worthing on Saturday 5 October at 3.30 p.m. Full details on the Eventbrite website at this link.
- Next meeting is Thursday 10 October, 7.30 p.m. Goring Methodist Church Hall, Raine Geoghegen will run a workshop about Poetry Performance. Her website is here.
Reminders and sundries.
- Please if you very kindly bring offerings for the book sale table, can you take away what doesn’t get sold?
- Next meeting, please take some WSW bookmarks and flyers to pass around.
- ‘Audit’ of accounts. Colin will do this for the current year’s accounts, but we shall need someone else next year.
- Anyone with suggestions for the Christmas event, or other meetings, please contact a committee member. Email addresses on WSW website.
- There was a raffle. This year looks like confirming the rule – I don’t win raffle prizes. But Audrey won a copy of the new Margaret Attwood. Wow!
Members decided in the meeting that they would rather have a newsletter than just an abstract from the minutes. I remember that I liked the competition suggestions so I’m including a link to the curated list of competitions on the Almond Press website.
19 September 2019