Steyning Festival Short Story Prize 2018
1. All entrants must either currently reside or have previously lived in East or West Sussex and be able to demonstrate this on request.
2. Attendance at the award event is not mandatory but it is hoped that writers who are shortlisted will be in a position to travel to the event.
3. There is no set theme, but stories must be short fiction - stories for children, poetry and non-fiction will not be considered.
4. Writers must be 16 years or older at the closing date for submissions.
5. All entries must be the original, unpublished work of the author.
6. Stories must be between 1,500 and 2,500 words in length.
7. All entries must be written in English.
8. All entries should be double spaced with wide margins.
9. Entries must not have won a prize in any other competition. Entrants can be simultaneously entered in other competitions but must inform WSW immediately if a story is placed or published elsewhere.
10. Entries must be received by midnight GMT on Sunday 11 March 2018
11. Entries making the longlist and shortlist will be listed on the WSW website. Initially, for fairness, these will be anonymous, but names will be revealed once judging is complete.
12. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. No entrant may have more than one entry on the shortlist.
14. West Sussex Writers will have the right to publish the 3 winning stories on their website.
15. Copyright will remain with the author.
16. Entrants agree to have an extract of their story, chosen by WSW, read at the prize giving event. A reader will be provided on request.
17. No one on the competition committee or who is part of the competition delivery is permitted to enter the competition.
18. Any entry that does not comply with these rules will be disqualified and no reimbursement of entry fees will be made.
19. Entries must be submitted via the WSW website using the format, .doc, .pdf, or .rtf. Please ensure your name does not appear in the file or as part of the file name.
20. Please complete the online entry form at www.westsussexwriters.co.uk/SteyningPrize2018 (use link below)
21. The entry fee of £5 per story, or £8 for 2 stories, will be payable via PayPal.
22. Prizes of £200, £75 and £50 will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners, respectively. Final placings will be announced at the event.
23. All 6 shortlisted entrants will receive certificates.
24. All 6 shortlisted entrants will receive free entry to the prize giving and a free two course meal. Drinks are not included.